Story #16: On this spot in 1911 mothers could pick up fresh milk for their babies.
The Portland Civic Club (now the Woodfords Club), with some funding from the Portland Board of Health, operated an infant milk station and free dispensary in the basement of this building from 1911 to 1918. The purpose was to reduce infant mortality by substituting milk from certified diaries for unregulated milk. A public health nurse, Lillian O?Donahue, ran the program, which included home visits to educate mothers in hygienic child care. -Eileen Eagan, USM professor
Eileen is a Women and Gender Studies professor at University of Southern Maine. She shared information with us about The Women’s History Trail in Portland. This is story was one of her faves.